Sunday, August 3, 2008

Clearing of the air...again

I should stick to storytelling of course, but recently there have been two art exhibitions with a Call to Artists that elicited images in my mind...  and so I put them to paper.  I include them here, so I can move on...

"Nizhoni No More" -- Nizhoni means beautiful in Navajo...  
This is the image I saw in my mind as I read the call for art which protests the proposed construction of yet another (and the largest) coal-fired power plant here in the Four Corners.  I chose to depict a Navajo rug from the Beautiful Way, being obliterated by the pollution from the operation of the plant.  Thus the ancient wisdom traditions are also obliterated by greed.



















"Welcome In"
I had already painted this, and when I read of an upcoming "Sacred Arts Festival," I decided to submit it.  The image I was trying to express was that of coming abundance -- the ephemeral approaching camels taking solid form as they pass through the shimmering yantra of abundance.  A friend pointed out that the imagery is also Christian -- the Three Kings passing through the Star of David and taking solid form.  This downloaded photo barely shows the Star of David which is at the center of the yantra.



No comments: