Saturday, January 5, 2008

Alas, Corazon

How ephemeral are the "things" of our lives. My heart is aching as I write this...
Little Corazon, the kitten we rescued in Mexico and brought home to live with us -- pictured here in Mexico at only a month old -- the kitty with a heart on her side, and a diamond on her head, so communicative with her posturing and eye contact, the kitty who did NOT mess with the Christmas tree ornaments and who stayed off the furniture, and who purred so loudly, who loved shredding string and paper, and playing with that other kitty inside the mirror, and who luxuriated in long cuddles in my lap, who loved to explore the outdoors (but always with a cautious and wary manner)...    On her ninth-month birthday, on December 31, 2007, she lost the stand-off with a coyote.  
As the grief floods over me, images of other tragedies cascade in -- the ones I read about in the news about people I've never met, creatures I've never seen, places I've never been -- and I find I'm weeping for the whole of it.  When finally I remember to sit quietly and let myself calm down, I find that what is left is Love. Best to stay in Love, not Loss....  
Om Shanti Shanti Shanti


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

she was such a beautiful cat - i'm so sorry for your loss.